|Mr. S.K. Sharma, CMD, Bharat Electronics Ltd.
Mr. S.K. Sharma, who recently took over charge as Chairman & Managing Director of Bharat Electronics Ltd., in an interview with BDK, has stressed the need for greater co-operation with the R&D agencies to achieve the goal of indigenization.
Here are the excerpts from the interview with Mr S K Sharma
What are the new products that you plan to bring out in 2014-15 for the Indian armed forces?
BEL is planning to introduce various new products / systems to the Indian armed forces during 2014-15, which include Weapon Locating Radar, L-70 Gun Upgrade, Compact Multi-purpose Advanced Stabilisation System for Helicopters, L-band Static tropo system, Naval Electronic Warfare systems and SMART Encryption devices.
What's your strategy to bag offsets?
We intend to deploy many initiatives for generating offset business. Some of them are listed below:
• Accelerating the absorption of new technologies through Transfer of Technology / Joint Ventures.
• Upgradation of facilities and infrastructure in line with global requirements.
• Tie up with foreign OEMs and Vendors to manufacture their products on “Built to print” & “Built to Spec” Basis.
• Frequent interactions with customers and OEMs to identify the possible opportunities.
• Upgrade / customise existing proven products to suit offset program requirements.
• Open up for initial Low Volume Business Association which can be increased to long-term relationship.
• Strengthening of the Supply Chain Management team.
• Accreditation with latest Aerospace standards and Military Standards which meets the global requirement (AS 9100C).
Tell us about your Research & Development.
BEL is taking steps to meet the varying challenges to keep abreast with the latest technological developments and the management of emerging large turnkey programmes.
The measures include strengthening the technology development process through short, medium and long-term technology roadmaps, increased investments in R&D and setting up of a Company-wide Knowledge Management System to harness the complete potential of the R&D engineers. BEL is enhancing efforts for in-house developments and also further strengthening the close co-operation with DRDO Labs, other national research laboratories and R&D organizations including academia for indigenous development. BEL is also taking adequate initiatives for joint development with reputed foreign companies to quickly harness specialized technologies into new products.
In order to meet the emerging requirements of large systems, a higher degree of User involvement is envisaged for better understanding of their requirements right from the concept stage to implementation and exploitation. Focus groups have been formed headed by dedicated Project Managers for major programmes.
What have been your major orders and supplies in the last two years?
The major orders received are Mobile Cellular Communication System (MCCS), SRE Radar AMC, Naval Radars and Sonar Export, Hull Mounted Sonar, Passive Night Vision Devices, Composite Communication System & Naval ESM Systems, Missile Warning System, Electronic Voting Machines and Combat Management System.
BEL has executed various projects in the last two years for Armed forces and Non-Defence customers, which include MCCS, Mobile Ground Based Electronic Intelligence System, Passive Night Vision Devices, Battlefield Surveillance Radar–MR, Central Acquisition Radar, Fire Control Systems, Coastal Surveillance System, Akash Missile Systems for the Indian Air Force & Army, Missile Warning Systems and Biometrics for National Population Register.